Friday, November 17, 2006

Brew of the Day

I have a confession to make: yesterday I bought a cup of coffee just so I could look like everyone else. I had the impression that a cup of steaming hot coffee in my hand would would bring me complete and utter satisfaction. It seemed like the people who held coffee cups as they marched across campus looked like they had such a sense of purpose, like that hot drink in their hand was somehow helping them reach their glorious destinies. It's apparently the smartest accesory to any outfit, that perfect little accent which finishes off a look.
With those objectives in mind, I got a piping-hot Caramel Macchiato from Java City, my first hot coffee purchase in the US :) And it soon became obvious that I'm a terrible coffee drinker. The floating foam on top with the caramel swirls was fine, but beyond that - ew. In my inexperience I failed to stir it prior to drinking, so all the caramel settled at the bottom. So it was something like bitterblandboringbitterbitterbitterSWEEEEEEET!! Plus I burnt my tongue while trying to appear elegant while sipping. And the coffee gave my teeth a sickening yellowish tinge. And after I'd finished my head hurt and I felt kinda jumpy and desperately wanted the aftertaste to leave my mouth.
So I don't do coffee too well. Back home, as some of you know, I loved Coffee Bean for its creamy chicken pasta and Starbucks for its iced cocoa. For its Frappuchinos too, but mainly because of the strong chocolate flavor. You could take the caffeine out and it wouldn't matter. I guess that excludes me from the cool coffee-clutching college crowd, which is, right now, almost the entire student population, as the cold weather is creeping in and everyone's staying up late to study for finals. But it's okay. I can always pretend, right? I'll put my green tea into a Starbucks paper cup and walk around with it like I own the world. Then I'll belong.
:)

No comments: