Wednesday, November 01, 2006

bag of assorted thoughts

Fall Retreat saw me attending my first Halloween Dance party. Yay! It was fun. I went as a crayon box, with six of my friends as the crayons. But we called ourselves the Prayons, with color names like Sword of the Spirit Silver, and Light of the World Yellow. Haha. It was a hoot.
Yesterday was actual Halloween, and there was no shortage of sexy nurses/policewomen/pirates walking around school. It's amazing how they survived in the pretty cold weather with so little on. Still, was fun to people watch.
On Monday, my Ethnic American Lit professor handed out Halloween chocolates in class out of a little plastic pumpkin lantern. I was immediately brought back to the Primary 4 days where Miss Soh would pass around Cheezels and I'm sorry Fish, but I have to mention the time you dropped the can and everything spilled on the floor, because I still can't get over how you deprived us all of the wonderful cheezy snack that fateful day. Now you have to go through the entire guilt cycle all over again. Get used to it - I'm pretty sure the memory will haunt you for as long as you live. :D
I was feeling a little homesick on Sunday night (I think it was just general Sunday-night blues) and suddenly had the impulse to read some Singaporean poetry. Don't ask me where that came from. So I checked the library and they had a few copies of Arthur Yap and Edwin Thumboo. After thumbing through Thumboo (TERRIBLE play on words, I KNOW, but let me have my fun!!) I felt a little better. I liked 'Ulysses by the Merlion' because it related to what I'm reading in Greek history now. I have to admit - most of Arthur Yap left me completely mystified. Deep dude. Except this one poem about 2 mothers in a HDB playground which was written completely in Singlish. That was completely Singaporean and completely lovely.
Oh yes, if i haven't totally lost you guys by now, let me tell you about my job, which is the BEST in the WORLD. I wake up at 5:40am and get to school by 6:30am to check the general IT stuff in 5 classrooms - DVD player, projector... blah. And by 7:30 I'm done and get to spend a nice half and hour eating a spinach bagel with cream cheese and preparing myself for class and doing my QT. Plus the pay is phenomenal - $11/hour and I get paid for 2 hours a day though I'm done in one. Awesome, right? I know that God closed the doors to all the other jobs I applied for so I could get this one. My supervisors are great and sometimes give us glazed doughnuts. And my roomies work with me too. It is such a BLESSING. And it's making me sleep and wake early... Totally revolutionizing my lifestyle. Yes, it's that much of a deal to me. I'm happy! Thank you God.
This Friday, I will be heading off the the Texas Renaissance Festival (www.texrenfest.com) to hang with medieval Scottish people and other cool characters from centuries past. Tell you more about it when I get back. Hope I'll get to try my hand at bagpipes.
It's also full-on mugging mode right now. Time to find a spot in the library I can call my own and live there until December. I miss the libraries back home; they're a lot prettier. I miss Cafe Galilee too. I am such a nerd.
Tomorrow's the OC season premiere which -would you believe it- is on at the SAME TIME as Grey's Anatomy. The only 2 shows I follow in the world. WHY do they do this to me?? But I caught the whole first episode on myspace, so all is cool til next week. Looks promising.
John Mayer's song "I Don't Trust Myself (With Loving You)" is really good. It's on his website, so I play it a lot and will probably get sick of it in a few days. But for now, it's lovely and slightly hearbreaking. Go give it a listen. You'll be boppin' along in no time.
I miss you. And no, this 'you' isn't a secret crush; it's all of you. All. Of. You. Bye!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

by the way, the 'J' is a silent 'J'. hahaha..remember Friends? hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaahhaha i am taking a break now, gp today! it was great looking at your wonderful Tips before i went..really encouraging. anyway, yes what a nice long post you made!
poor fish! IT'S OKAY FISH! YOU MUST BE STRONG AND RESIST THE HAUNTINGS OF YESTERYEARS!YOU CAN DO IT, I KNOW YOU CAN. (my mom says you can! too.)
yes, enjoy your reinassance fest! i wish i could go for stuff like that. sounds so exciting. you must take all pictures with weirdos too! YOU MUST DRESS UP!
lion king is NOTHING COMPARED TO PHANTOM!!!!!!!HAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!!! I GEt!TO!WATCH!IT!!!!! hopefully.
all you get is rooars and prancing of hairy beasts..like, ew.
oKiEz, i gOT 2 gOeZ noWz HorZZxx^^~~mUacKKKZxx~~ (heeheee i know you miss all that yeeaaa you do!)
BYEBYE!
I LUPCH CHEW!xoxo

yiwen said...

i like your bag of assorted thoughts :) sounds like you're having a great time! bagels!!