Sunday, March 02, 2008

My Afternoon with the Phantom





Went to San Antonio on Saturday with Kirsten, Kenaz and Ding Ding. That city doesn't have that big scary urban feel that you get when you go to Dallas or Houston. Very touristy and very pretty. We got there at one and the show was at two, so we raced around the tourist-infested River Walk frantically looking for a place to eat. Finally settled on Saltgrass and had a rushed but very satisfying 10-minute lunch. Raced back to the Majestic Theater, found our seats, and surrendered our next two and a half hours to The Phantom of the Opera.

I wish I could say I was enthralled beyond belief. Gorgeous, gorgeous costumes (especially during "Masquerade") and sets (the dry-ice filled boat scene, in particular), which were only enhanced by the slightly ostentatious interior design of the Majestic. Andrew Lloyd Webber's songs are timeless and I will always love "Think of Me." But I think I'm more of a movie person because of my constant need to see facial features and expressions. In a musical, the actors always seem too inaccessible. I guess I prefer the total escapism that the movie medium offers. Or maybe I should have just brought binoculars like the old lady two rows in front of me.

On another slightly annoyed note, why can't I rotate pictures for Blogger on my Mac? Help.

No comments: