Wednesday, September 19, 2007

What Can I Say?

Just returned from watching Brandi Carlile live at UT with Beeba. It was the most amazing concert I've ever been to! While I'm still on a post-show high, let me put up some pictures.

The evening kicked off with A Fine Frenzy as the opening act. That's the stage name of Alison Sudol, who has a wonderfully rich voice and wonderfully red hair. Check out her "Almost Lover" video.

After about an hour, A Fine Frenzy exited the stage and we waited for about 15 minutes in the packed ballroom, amid other rowdy concert-goers, some of whom reeked of beer (there was a bar, but we were underage). After a sound check that seemed to last forever, Miss Carlile herself exploded onstage with her band. The crowd went crazy.

She had a pair of cute bald Lex-Luthor-lookalike twins as her backup singers/guitar players. They were great!
Though one of them tried to eat the mike :)
It was a such a great time. They played for two solid hours, and though my patent leather black peep-toes from Far East were killing me, I have no complaints about standing throughout. She did old songs, new songs, a totally acoustic number (no mike, even!), an awesome Johnny Cash cover... going from crazy rock chick to mellow coffeehouse crooner in a split second. Her voice is so unique - she can growl or scream or hum or do that funny yodeling thing that Shakira does all within one song, and it sounds SO GOOD. Ahhh. And there was this one song where she divided the audience into 3 sections and had us harmonize with her and her cutebaldguys. It sounded wonderful. After the song she threw her pick into the crowd and Beeba caught it! Well actually she cleverly hid it under her shoe till the guy behind us stopped looking for it HAHA. It's cute and green.
More pics below. I think she looks a bit like Lindsay Lohan and Keira Knightley, though she's nowhere near as girly.

The best part hands-down was the encore, where she did my favorite, "What Can I Say" and ended with a gorgeous version of "Hallelujah." 30 seconds was all my camera would allow me to record, but I guess that's enough. You can check it out below. Hear more of her great songs here and here.


No comments: