Saturday, September 29, 2007

ORANGE

Lotsa little things happened this week.

On Tuesday, my stomach felt a little weird so I SMSed my cooperating teacher at Murchison Middle School to say I wasn't coming for my observation. She replied me four hours later: "Watch the news tonight and see what you missed." Turns out a teacher had heard a ticking sound coming from one of the lockers and the entire school was evacuated during the time I was supposed to be there. Nothing dangerous was found. But I guess you can't ever be too cautious.

I've been looking for Alexander McCall Smith's new book "The Careful Use of Compliments" (book 4 of his Isabel Dalhousie series, of which I am a big fan) ever since it was published on August 7. I didn't want to buy it, so I decided to ask the UT Library to order it. And the chief bibliographer said yes! It'll appear on our library shelves in a week or so. Yay :)

On Tuesday, I went to a bathroom in school before my evening class and discovered that the cubicle walls were covered with a very heated discussion on the war on Iraq. Girls were expressing their unhappiness towards Bush, and talking about how hard it was to have brothers and boyfriends fighting so far away. It was cool because it was an actual conversation, with girls responding to other girls' comments, instead of just a bunch of unrelated rants. And none of these girls knew who the others were. Just like a virtual forum, but on a bathroom wall. I'll take a picture of it soon but there's a lot of swearing going on so I might not put it up.

My kickboxing instructor got a new CD so instead of her previous Justin Timberlake techno mix, we are now kickin' to the sounds of Timbaland's The Way I Are. I'm sure Munyuk would approve :)

On Wednesday night there was a blackout in our area. Again! This time everyone got really mad. A lot of people got out on the balcony and started vehemently cursing Austin Energy. Haha. The guy above us was shouting, "I've got homework to do!!!" The guys below us got a guitar out and started singing a really off-key version of Howie Day's "Collide". After 45 minutes the lights came back on. After half an hour they went out again. GRRR. The 4 of us are gonna start looking for a new apartment in Spring. Oh, check out this ridiculous ad for our apartment I found in the school paper. What on earth is the blond girl wearing? I'm just not feeling the luxury:
Yesterday Kirsten, Chris and I went to Java Gardens, an Indonesian restaurant which garnered a pretty good review in the Austin Chronicle. We had beef rendang (a bit too salty) and deep-fried shrimp in butter sauce (lovely!) with rice. Was very filling. I miss the amazing Indonesian food I had in Prigen and Bali over summer.

Here are some pictures of last Saturday's football game against Rice. Very orange, very high energy. Felt proud to be a Longhorn.
Bye for now :)

No comments: