Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Shed some light on me please

Meiyan and I took a nice long walk to Stubb's last night to catch Feist in concert.The opening act was a Canadian dude named Hayden, who was pretty charming even though he seemed to be closing his eyes the whole time. He played the harmonica, which was nice. I really like his song "Bass Song." Check out his MySpace page.
He played for an hour, we waited an hour and then Feist showed up.







Gotta admit I left with mixed feelings. I had high expectations for this concert, and yet I didn't have as much fun as I did in Brandi Carlile's show last year.
Highlights:
1. Feist looked hot. She makes me wanna get bangs.
2. There was a very cool shadow-play thing going on on the projection screen overhead. Like a mini sideshow. Using a glorified overhead projector, a lady on stage used paint, stencils, light, prisms and her own hands to create a pretty scene for each song.
3. Feist stopping mid-song to take a cell phone from a girl in the audience who was CHATTING DURING THE CONCERT... gasp! After a minute or so, the girl realized the error of her ways and screamed, "I'm sorry, Leslie, will you forgive me?"
4. Her band members, who were clad in all white.
5. Opening with a haunting rendition of Honey Honey.
6. Her awesome performance of Sea Lion Woman, which gave me the chills.
Lowlights:
1. TOO SHORT!!! She played for a little more than an hour.
2. My fault: I didn't do my pre-concert homework, so I didn't know half the songs.
3. Where was One Evening, Inside and Out and Secret Heart?? Sad omissions.
4. Lack of audience banter. Hayden talked more than she did.
5. Standing in the same spot for 4 hours nearly killed my feet.
6. My pictures are all blurry!
Okay, so maybe it wasn't so bad after all. I just really wished she had sung a few more songs... it seemed a little rushed.



***
Next topic: the Austin City Limits lineup! Check it out here. Again, a leeetle disappointing because I was hoping against hope that Coldplay would return this year (after headlining in '05) and others like Death Cab, Ben Harper, The Shins and Rachael Yamagata. But of course Coldplay's too mainstream for hip ol' Austinites. So I have mainstream tastes. I don't care. The list is definitely growing on me, though. Foo Fighters! I've loved Alison Krauss' voice ever since I heard her on the Cold Mountain soundtrack, so yay. And I've been checking out her stuff with Robert Plant... it's really good! And look: The Raconteurs! Erykah Badu! Tegan and Sara! Iron and Wine! The Swell Season (bet you're jealous now, Charles Lim)! and further down the page... Jose Gonzalez! I love him! And I have from now till September to check out the rest of the bands so I can plan my festival schedule. Let's hope none of my favorite acts clash.

No comments: